Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Grand Illusion? Bring It On!

I think most everyone who grew up in The Age of Vinyl can name a few albums that serve the function of Life Soundtrack. Two of mine--The Grand Illusion and Paradise Theatre--are by Styx.

I played those records incessantly when I was in my late teens, writing poems, stories and diary entries, and making sketches that would never be good enough to show to another living soul. The songs were the perfect companions, alternately providing background noise, comfort, hope, and inspiration. They were even there for me at the times I needed to wallow in the angst that is being young.

I still play those albums when I write. The songs can help me get in the right frame of mind to put words to screen. Like real people, my characters have Life Soundtracks, and (not surprisingly) The Grand Illusion and Paradise Theatre are universal favorites for them. Those songs help me feel what my own characters are feeling. From the gentle caress of "The Best of Times" to the larger-than-life roar of "Rockin' the Paradise" to the soaring majesty of "The Grand Illusion", I cherish those albums.

For years, I dreamed of seeing Styx live. I wanted to be there when they played those songs. The departure of Dennis DeYoung put me into a terrible funk. He was not only a wonderful singer but a great showman.

In the summer of 2007, I finally saw Styx live for the first time when the band toured with Def Leppard and Foreigner. Technically, Styx put on a great show. But it left me feeling a little disappointed, too. They didn't seem to be having any fun up there. I got the feeling they were there for the paycheck.
Fast-forward.

When I heard a few months ago that Styx would be coming around with Ted Nugent and REO Speedwagon, I almost didn't buy tickets. What if I ended up feeling more let-down? They're five years older... I'm five years older... we've all slowed down, right? But I decided to give Styx another chance because, well, that's what you do for your all-time favorite bands, right?

I saw Styx again this past Friday night. And I was blown away. All the life I'd hoped to see the first time was there, and then some. They were like kids in a garage getting their thrills--only with much better equipment. I like to think maybe they're all in a better place in life than they were a few years ago. Maybe they are... maybe they aren't. But what they presented to the audience was a big blast of Life Doesn't Get Any Better Than This. Whatever they did behind the scenes, it's working. It might be the very definition of The Grand Illusion. But it was just what I needed.
Styx lived up to my dreams Friday night and I will be forever glad I gave the band a second chance.

Other highlights of the night:

1) My husband and I were celebrating our eleventh anniversary that night. When REO Speedwagon did "Can't Fight This Feeling," he looked at me, grinning while he sang along. I was transported back through the years, to a time that song played on the radio early in our relationship and I heard him singing it under his breath. That was around the time I came to realize that, whether he liked it or not, he was doomed to love me. That poor man.

2) My oldest daughter is a new fan of Ted Nugent.

3) My youngest daughter didn't complain once about being bored.

Styx was awesome... and we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment